Today we hear a lot about the concept of 'Personalisation', but to what extent do we associate this with the professional learning we receive?
In my opinion... it is lacking...severely!!
How often have you had to sit-through professional learning days that are a "one-size-fit-all" or "say 'n spray approach" where the presenter aims the content at the middle of the audience and hopes to touch those on the edges with a little bit of spittle...aka useful content.
I can see you nodding your head, and agreeing with me as you read this!
It doesn't have to be this way!!
Before you arrange professional learning either internally or with an external provider I would like to pose a few questions you might want to consider or ask...
- How will you identify the different learning needs of staff?
- How do you intend to meet staff learning needs?
- What input will staff have in designing their professional learning programme?
- How will staff progress and achievement be measured...by whom and how often?
- What are staff responsibilities and what are facilitator responsibilities?
- How will professional learning flex with the changing needs of the staff?
So as you go into planning your professional learning for 2018, consider the following:
- To what extent will you be walking-your-talk?
- Who is the best 'fit' facilitator for your context?
- How will professional learning be personalised?
Feel free to contact Mary-Anne to chat-through how you might utilise a personalised professional learning approach for your staff development.